In 1912, three young architects from Baltimore won a design competition for the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond and used that momentum to form Sill, Buckler & Fenhagen. Those founders were succeeded by Richard “Dick” Ayers and Kelsey Saint, and in the late 1960s, Dick’s son Richard joined the firm.
In the early 1980s Richard took over from his father and recruited Adam Gross to the firm. In the mid 1980s Ayers Saint Gross began to focus exclusively on higher education, and followed the baby boom echo to campuses all over the country.
That strategy led to rapid growth and the addition of offices in Washington, DC and Tempe, Arizona. Concurrently, planning, graphic design, and landscape architecture were added as disciplines. In the 2000s, the firm’s portfolio continues to grow with cultural facilities design and international planning projects.